We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Why am I getting bruising around my eyes?

Keep having bruising around my eyes. It isn't just the normal dark circles because I can see some black and blue areas above my eyes too. It seems to get better during the day and is really noticeable when I get up in the morning. Why am I getting these bruises?
There is no simple reason that you should be getting bruising around your eyes, and therefore this needs to be investigate right away, as unexplained bruising is often a sign of a serious medical problem. I would start by getting in to see your doctors">primary care doctor, who can perform the initial evaluation. The first important step will be to confirm that this is indeed bruising and not just 'dark circles'. Although dark circles usually occur under the eye, they can occasionally also occur above the eye. Your doctor will quickly be able to determine whether or not this is real bruising. If this does turn out to be bruising, then your doctor will want to examine you for other signs of bleeding, such as bruising on other parts of the body. Also, make sure to mention to your doctor if you have had any easy bleeding of the gums when you brush your teeth, blood in your bowel movements, or any other unusual developments. Based on these findings, if you are both still concerned that this is real bruising, then the next step will be to perform some basic blood work to try to get to the bottom of potential causes. Get in to your doctor's office right away!

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Nancy Barbarito
    Dr. Nancy Barbarito MD
    75 Baylor Dr
    Bluffton, SC 29910
  • Dr. Richard Harris
    Dr. Richard Harris MD
    381 Rampart Range Rd
    Woodland Park, CO 80863