ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of a doctor should I see if I think I had a seizure?

Question

What kind of a doctor should I see if I think I had a seizure?

I was waking up the other day and my whole body started to feel like I was shaking. I thought it was just some muscle spasms at first but now I'm a little scared. What kind of a doctor should I see if I think I had a seizure?

Answer

While I can not be completely sure, most likely what you had was not a seizure. There are many different types of seizures, but none of them fit perfectly with what you had. Seizures that include the whole body (which are called general seizures) occur in a way that the person having the seizure is unconscious and would not remember it happening. Seizures can involve only part of the body (called partial seizures), and these you can remember. A much more likely possibility is that you had a myoclonic twitch or a series of them associated with waking up. We call the waking up period the hypnopompic state. During this time muscle twitching is common and can be mistaken for a seizure. It is not usually representative of a disease, and is nothing to worry about. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a more detailed history of your shaking event and perform a thorough neurological examination. If a seizure is suspected, then you may warrant referral to a neurologist and you may need an MRI of your brain. If a myoclonic twitch occurring when you were waking up is suspected, then no further workup is necessary.