Why does my stomach hurt when I cough?

coughing makes my stomach hurt lately. It is the stomach muscles at the bottom. it also happens if I do a big yawn or if I hiccup or something like that. do I have a muscle pull? a hernia?
Repetitive and strong coughing does involve tensing of the abdominal muscles. This means that, in some cases, it is actually possible to strain these muscles, which can lead to pain with more coughing, yawning, and other similar movements like those you are describing. I would suggest that you go see your primary care doctor about this issue, especially if it is persistent or worsening. The first thing they will do is examine your abdomen, looking for areas of tenderness or swelling in the abdominal muscles. With this examination, they can also rule out that the pain is actually coming from inside the abdomen (from the intestines, for example) and they can also examine you closely for a hernia which, as you suspected, could be another cause of this pain. Based on what they find, they will recommend the appropriate treatment. Most cases of simple muscle strain require only anti inflammatory medications to relieve the pain (although it would also be important to treat the cough, if it is persistent). On the other hand, if a hernia is discovered, that will require surgery, and your primary care doctor can make a referral to a surgeon for you to get that process started.

9415 E Harry St

• Dr. Andrew Kirschner
    Dr. Andrew Kirschner DO
    1 Belmont Avenue
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024