Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What are these spots on my arm?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat are these spots on my arm?


The upper part of my arm has some white and red spots that are really small but their are a lot of them still. No pain but just worried about what the heck they are. Top part of the arm on the outside some on the back too.


I would recommend that you go to see either your primary care doctor or a dermatologist for definitive diagnosis of this condition, which will require an actual physical examination. That being said, there are a few common possibilities that I can anticipate your doctor will consider. For example, keratosis pilaris is a condition in which the skin produces excess keratin, which plugs the pores, lead to painless, small red or white bumps. The bumps in keratosis pillars tend to concentrate on the upper outer arms as well as the thighs and buttocks. The condition is totally benign and, if it is not a major cosmetic concern, it does not need to be treated. For some people, however, it is very cosmetically concerning, in which case many times acne treatments can be of some benefit. Another possibility would be folliculitis, which is a condition that develops when small hair follicles are infected, typically in areas of the body like the groin or armpits, but potentially anywhere. Heat rash, or plugging of sweat glands can also develop, often in associated with exercise. Start by seeing your doctor as soon as possible. They can figure out what is going on and recommend a treatment if necessary.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.