ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for your head to be a little uneven?

Question

Is it normal for your head to be a little uneven?

Maybe I had a head injury that I don't remember? My head feels like it is higher on one side than the other in the back like where it is rounded off. Is that normal and I'm just being silly or could something be wrong with me?

Answer

The skull is a very complex bony structure which actually consists of multiple individual flat bones that all fuse together as we grow during childhood. The skull also has multiple bumps and protuberances. As a result it is not at all uncommon for there to be individual bumps that feel a bit different from side to side of the skull. This is especially the case on the back of the skull, near where it joins into the neck. Assuming that you do not have any known history of a head injury (it sounds like you don't remember any such history) and that you don't have any symptoms such as headache, then this is unlikely to be something that you need to worry about. However, it would be a good idea to talk to your primary care doctor the next time you see them. They can examine your head closely and make sure everything is normal, so that you don't have to worry any more. This is the type of general health question that is great to bring up especially at your annual physical examination with your doctor although, of course, you could also schedule a special visit just to talk about this issue.