ZocdocAnswersCan using a phone too much damage your wrist?

Question

Can using a phone too much damage your wrist?

I have a smart phone that I have to use like all day at work and even when I am not in the office. Now I'm starting to get sharp pains in my right wrist. Could it be from using my phone too much? Can this damage your wrist?

Answer

In brief, the answer to your question is yes! It sounds like you could be developing an over use injury of the wrist. This occurs mostly in people who work with their hands all day long, such as cradling a phone or typing at a keyboard. The two main types of injury that can occur in the wrist are tendonitis, or strain in the tendons of the wrist, and carpal tunnel syndrome, which is pinching or swelling of the nerves in the hand. Tendonitis tends to cause sharp pain in the wrist itself, whereas carpal tunnel syndrome is more likely to cause numbness or shooting pains in the fingers of the hand. I strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. They can examine your hand and wrist closely and determine whether you have any evidence of other tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrome. Based on what they find, they can recommend treatment, which typically includes resting the wrist from the types of activity that provoke the pain, splinting the wrist, and taking regular doses of an anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen. Make an appointment to see your doctor as soon as possible and good luck!