ZocdocAnswersWhy does so much of my hair fall out in the shower?

Question

Why does so much of my hair fall out in the shower?

I don't know if I'm just not noticing it during the day but my hair is falling out a lot at night when I take a shower. Why would it fall out so much in the shower and why is it falling out at all? I'm a 24 year old girl and don't have any health or mental problems.

Answer

The hair on the scalp is always constantly turning over. Therefore, it is normal to experience some hair loss when combing the hair or washing the hair in the shower. However, if you have just suddenly noticed an increase in hair loss, and especially if you notice that your hair is actually thinning, then you should get an appointment with your primary care doctor or a dermatologist to discuss the issue. There are a few different medical problems that can be associated with sudden hair loss, including problems with the thyroid gland and iron deficiency. If you have any other signs of these conditions, these are things that your primary care doctor can diagnosis easily with some simple blood tests. Similarly, your doctor can look to see if you have any evidence of inflammation in the skin of your scalp, because this is another common cause of hair loss. Conditions that can cause inflammation of the scalp (and hair loss) include psoriasis, eczema, and seborrheic dermatitis, as well as certain fungal infections. If you have any evidence of these conditions, they can typically be treated with topical medications. Start by making an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible!