What is a good way to unclog your pores?

I think that my greasy face and all of these pimples I am getting are from my pores being so clogged up. Is there any way to unclog your pores? Or maybe you can make them smaller so they don't make so much grease?
You are absolutely right that there is a strong correlation between clogged pores and the development of pimples. People with oily skin are often at higher risk of clogged pores and pimples, simply because the oily skin contributes directly to the clogging of the pores. It is important to clean your face daily to help remove the excess oils. However, at the same time, it is important not to overly dry out your face with astringents, as dry skin actually irritates the oil glands and directly stimulates them to produce more oil! It is also helpful to try to avoid other things that could potentially clog the pores, such as excess makeup. In addition to these basic home care steps, it would be helpful to make an appointment with your primary care doctor or, alternatively, with a dermatologist. There are many different prescription medications, both creams as well as pills, that are used to treat acne. Your doctor can examine your face and help determine whether home based treatments are enough or if your acne is severe enough to warrant treating it with a prescription medicine. Together, you can work to figure out what the best treatment approach for your skin is!

• Dr. Ruben Ruiz
    Dr. Ruben Ruiz MD
    3012 San Gabriel Blvd.
    Rosemead, CA 91770
  • Dr. Julien Dedier
    Dr. Julien Dedier MD
    725 Albany St
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021