ZocdocAnswersCould all of my sneezing just be from the amount of dust in my apartment?

Question

Could all of my sneezing just be from the amount of dust in my apartment?

I thought I might have allergies but now I think I just have a dusty apartment. If you have a lot of dust can that make you sneeze a lot? By a lot I mean I sneeze like 10 or 15 times every morning when I wake up!

Answer

Dust and other particles in the air can definitely make you sneeze. However, unless the air is literally full of dust, I think the more likely possibility is still allergies. Allergies in the nasal passages, called allergic rhinitis, is one of the most common medical problems. It is typically provoked by exposure to one of several indoor or outdoor allergens that cause swelling and irritation of the nasal lining. Symptoms include congestion, sneezing, runny nose, and itching. There may also be eye allergies at the same time, with itching and redness of the eyes. Typically indoor allergens that are associated with allergic rhinitis include mites and mold, which both might be associated with bad symptoms especially in the early morning, as both allergens tend to be concentrated in the mattress and bedroom. I would strongly suggest that you make an appointment to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible. They can confirm the diagnosis of nasal allergies and help you decide what type of treatment you should use. Fortunately, there are several very effective classes of medications that can be used to reduce the symptoms of nasal allergies and get you back to feeling better. Go see your doctor as soon as possible!