Is it safe to have surgery if I was recently sick?

I'm having some minor surgery, actually its dental surgery. Having some teeth pulled out but they will be putting me under. Is that safe to do if I just got over the flu? I've been fine for a week but I didn't know if that would make some kind of a difference.
Generally speaking, it is best not to undergo surgery with anesthesia if you are currently ill, because this sometimes increases the risk of having a complication from the surgery or from the anesthesia. However, if your symptoms from your recent viral infection are all gone now, then this is not likely to be a barrier to proceeding with the surgery. However, you will need to talk to the dental surgeon who is going to perform the procedure, or the anesthesiologist who will be assisting with the procedure. Ultimately, the decision to proceed with the surgery depends on them, and they could decide to proceed or not to proceed based on whether they feel that you still are not completely over the illness and also based on your personal medical history, which may put you at higher or lower baseline risk. Make an appointment to see your doctor as soon as possible, or give their office a call right away. You can then explain to them your situation and you should be able to get an answer from them as to whether or not they wish to proceed. Good luck, and I hope that your procedure goes smoothly and that you recover quickly!

Other Dentists