ZocdocAnswersIs it possible that I tore something inside of my vagina?

Question

Is it possible that I tore something inside of my vagina?

After having sex the other night I had a sore pain that was like an aching in my vagina the next morning. I've heard of vaginal tearing. Is this maybe what happened to me? What actually tears if this happens? Your skin? Your muscles?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you are having such discomfort. Your are right that with vigorous sexual activity it is possible to cause damage to the vagina. Typically this is just in the form of an abrasion of the lining of the vagina, which is sort of analogous to a 'skinned knee'. Although painful, it is not usually a serious injury and it does tend to heal up on its own without the need for any specific medical treatment. However, occasionally the injury to the vagina is more serious and so, especially if the pain is very severe, you should get evaluated by either your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor to make sure you don't have a more serious injury. In the future, you can prevent injuries like this. The best way to do so is to engage in plenty of foreplay prior to intercourse, to make sure that the vagina is well lubricate and relaxed. You can also try using a personal lubricant for intercourse, of which there are many different brands available in your local pharmacy. Get in to see your doctor at your earliest convenience, and avoid sexual intercourse again until all of your symptoms have gone away.