Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What should I do if my appetite is out of control?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do if my appetite is out of control?

I think my appetite is completely out of control. it is like every hour on the hour I want to eat no matter how much I just ate like an hour ago. I'm not overweight and this just starting happening probably a week ago. What would make my appetite get out of control like this?

The most common cause for an increase in appetite is an increase in physical exercise. For example, if you have recently started working out, this might explain your increased appetite. Some people who are under a lot of stress also find that this increases their appetites. In women, increased appetite might be an early sign of an undiagnosed pregnancy. In addition to these common causes, there are also a few medical problems that can be associated with an increased appetite. For example, elevated blood sugar or diabetes can cause increased appetite. Other symptoms of diabetes might include frequent urination, blurry vision, or dry mouth. Also, an over active thyroid gland, called hyperthyroidism, might increase appetite. Other symptoms might be feeling hot all the time, sweating, weight loss, palpitations, or jitteriness. You should go see your primary care doctor. They will be able to perform a complete physical examination and help you decide whether you need additional testing to rule out thyroid problems and diabetes. Typically both of these problems can be diagnosed with simple blood or urine tests, and treatments are available for both conditions. Start by making an appointment with your primary care doctor at your earliest possible convenience.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances