Does having surgery on your nose stop you from snoring?

I need to find a way to stop my snoring because it is driving my girlfriend and my son insane. Could I maybe have surgery on my nose? Does surgery on the nose fix snoring for good?
The first step in dealing with your snoring is to go see your primary care doctor. Since there are several different causes of snoring, they will be able to perform the initial evaluation and help you determine what needs to be done. One of the most common causes of snoring is being overweight. Excess weight in the neck presses on the throat and compresses it while you are asleep, leading to the snoring. When snoring is thought to be due to being overweight, it almost always tends to get a lot better if you can successfully lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off. Another very common cause of snoring is chronic sinus congestion or nasal allergies. These are conditions that can be easily diagnosed by your primary care doctor and for which there are, fortunately, several excellent medications which should reduce your snoring symptoms quite a bit. In severe cases of chronic congestion, a nasal polyp may develop which might not respond to medications and which might require surgery, but this would be down the road after first trying medications. Finally, occasionally the cause of snoring is a deviated nasal septum, and this does require surgery to fix. Start by seeing your doctor today.

• Dr. John Austin
    Dr. John Austin MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    7200 Wyoming Springs Drive
    Round Rock, TX 78681
  • Dr. Bradley Johnson
    Dr. Bradley Johnson DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3366 Oakdale Ave N
    Robbinsdale, MN 55422
  • Dr. John Bennett
    Dr. John Bennett MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    22 S 900 E
    Salt Lake City, UT 84102