Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do I have a tingling feeling on the entire right side of my body?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have a tingling feeling on the entire right side of my body?


I have a tingling, pins and needles type of a feeling all over the right side of my body. It is in every single body part on that side of my body and I am very nervous about what is going on because the only thing I can figure is that something is wrong with my brain!


It sounds like this has been a very unnerving experience for you. Any kind of change in your health and especially new symptoms like you describe can be very alarming. For right now, you should plan on seeing your primary care doctor right away to go over everything: your health history, your new symptoms, and your physical exam. If you do start having any trouble breathing, changes in your mental status, blurred vision, blurred speech, or any sudden changes in your strength or balance, you should go to the emergency department right away. Otherwise, you can go over things with your doctor at a regularly scheduled appointment. There are many different things that could be causing your symptoms, and you are absolutely right that with neurological complaints such as change in sensation, a problem with either the central nervous system (the brain and spinal cord) or the peripheral nervous system (the nerves in the rest of your body) could be causing this. Your age and health history will play a big part in identifying possible explanations. In addition, a thorough neurological exam to identify exactly where you are having the sensory deficits--as well as identifying any other abnormalities--will also help pinpoint whether this is something going on in the brain or in the rest of the body. Your doctor may want to refer you to a neurologist or for additional testing. Good luck!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.