ZocdocAnswersWhat is this burning sensation I am having in the side of neck?

Question

What is this burning sensation I am having in the side of neck?

It is n't pain its burning. It is in the right side of the neck. It is like I feel it being hot but when I touch the skin it is not hot. What is the reason for the burning in my neck?

Answer

There could be several different causes of this uncomfortable sensation, and I highly recommend that you get in to see your primary care doctor for a full examination so that you can get to the bottom of things. First of all, this could be a pulled or sore muscle. Although most of the time, pulled muscles are painful, occasionally a burning sensation may predominate. If you have recently done any heavy exercise or lifting, or if you 'slept funny' this is likely the cause. Another possibility would be a pinched nerve in the neck. Pinched nerves often give symptoms such as numbness, tingling, or burning. Pinched nerves in the neck are relatively common, especially in middle aged or elderly persons. Risk factors include arthritis of the neck. Finally, another potential cause of burning in the skin of the neck is an attack of shingles, which typically begins as a burning sensation before progressing to a rash consisting of fluid filled blisters. Shingles is caused by a reactivation of the chicken pox virus, and it can occur in anyone who has been previously infected with the virus. Start by making an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible.