ZocdocAnswersWhy am I getting nauseous at night?

Question

Why am I getting nauseous at night?

Before I go to bed at night I keep getting really nauseous that gets worse when I lay down. I haven't vomited yet but this has only been happening for a few days now. Why do I feel sick at night?

Answer

There are many different things that could be causing your nausea, and the best way to get to the bottom of it is to see your physician to go over all of your symptoms and your physical exam. 'Morning' sickness associated with pregnancy can sometimes present at night, and if you are the right gender and age range, this could be possible! In addition, some gastrointestinal viruses can also cause nausea--your doctor will want to know if your nausea is associated with any other symptoms, such as fever, diarrhea, or abdominal pain. Sometimes migraine headaches or other headache syndromes can cause nausea. It will also help your physician to know if any of your symptoms also include headache, visual aura, or if you have a history of migraines. Hopefully the cause of your symptoms is not anything serious and with some supportive anti-nausea medications you will be feeling back to your old self soon. However, since this appears to be a new change in your health, the best thing for you to do is see your physician to make sure there are no warning signs in your history or physical exam that might indicate something more serious is going on. And, there are some excellent anti-nausea medications available, so hopefully that can help with keeping your more comfortable.