Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Did I break my nose?

Took a knee to the nose accidentally when I was playing some backyard football. My nose is straight but it does kind of hurt a lot. How would I know if it was broken? If it is broken is there anything I can really do about it?
I would strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue right away. The fact that the nose is relatively straight does suggest that you don't have a major fracture of the bones, but your doctor will be able to examine your nose and confirm that. There are also several other potential complications of a nose injury, including a large bruise inside the nasal lining, called a septal hematoma, which can be a serious problem if it is not identified and drained. Assuming your doctor does not find a major fracture, septal hematoma, or other serious problem, then they will be able to recommend basic treatments to you to reduce pain and swelling, which might include ice and anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naproxen. On the other hand, if there is any evidence of significant instability of bones in the nose (which I doubt, based on your description), then your doctor may choose to refer you to an ear, nose, and throat doctor to help decide whether or not surgery might be needed. Regardless, start by getting in to see your primary care doctor as soon as possible for help with the pain and inflammation from the injury!

• Dr. David Stuver
    Dr. David Stuver MD
    502 Sixth Baxter Crossing
    Fort Mill, SC 29708
  • Dr. Munib Daudjee
    Dr. Munib Daudjee MD
    12130 Greenspoint Dr
    Houston, TX 77060
  • Dr. Tanya Grun
    Dr. Tanya Grun MD
    921 Lakeview Blvd
    New Braunfels, TX 78130