If you are allergic to one kind of nut does it mean that you are allergic to all of them?

I have slowly figured out that I am allergic to almonds. But if I am allergic to almonds does that mean that I am really just allergic to all nuts? Should I stop eating all of them?
The answer to your question is that it depends. The "tree nuts" include nuts like almonds, walnuts, and cashews. They are distinct from peanuts, which are actually not nuts at all. However, especially in children, it is quite common to be allergic to both tree nuts and peanuts simultaneously. In adults, it is less common to be allergic to all of these nuts at the same time. Furthermore, within the category of 'tree nuts' there are multiple different sub classes. It is possible to be allergic to all tree nuts or only to one sub class of tree nuts. For example, almonds are totally unrelated to walnuts, so many people who are allergic to one are not allergic to another. The only way to know this for sure is either to experiment with different nuts, or to have formal allergy testing to figure out which nuts you might be allergic to. Before doing anything, I would discuss the issue with your allergy doctor. If you have had a severe reaction to almonds, I definitely would not recommend challenging yourself with another type of nut unless your allergy doctor clears you to do this! Your allergy doctor can also set up the formal allergy testing.

Other Allergists