ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have pain in the back of my head?

Question

Why do I have pain in the back of my head?

When I try to move my head to the right or left I get some bad pain in the base of my head. It is a little in my neck too but mainly in the bottom part of my head. Why does moving my head like that cause me pain?

Answer

I would recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue, especially if the pain persists or worsen. There are a few different possible causes of the pain that your doctor will consider. One of these is a spasm in the muscles that run up and down the sides of the spine in the neck and connect to the base of the skull. These muscles frequently become strained or pulled, most often from "sleeping funny" at night and also from work-related tasks such as staring at a computer screen for long periods of time. Most of the time, a spasm or strain in these muscle groups can be effectively treated just with rest, work on improving posture, and some anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naproxen, as directed by your doctor. In selected cases, your doctor may also recommend physical therapy. A pinched nerve in the neck would be another possibility. Typically, this causes numbness or tingling, rather than simply pain, and the symptoms tend to radiate out rather than be localized just at the sides of the spine. Regardless, in most simple cases treatment is similar to treatment for a muscle strain, although more complex cases may require a referral to an orthopedic doctor.