ZocdocAnswersWhy is my voice so weak?

Question

Why is my voice so weak?

I lost my voice around two months ago and even though it came back it has been super weak ever since. Why is it still so weak? Anything I can do?

Answer

The most common cause of hoarseness (losing your voice) is something called acute laryngitis. This is a condition in which the vocal cords become inflamed, usually due to a common viral infection, including from the types of viruses that cause the common cold. Almost always, acute laryngitis resolves within a week or two. Therefore, the fact that your symptoms have been going on for two months is very concerning. There is a condition called chronic laryngitis, which can often be treated, but more importantly, any case of hoarseness that goes on for more than a few weeks needs to be evaluated right away. The reason for this is that some of these cases of hoarseness are due to cancer of the throat, or other serious causes, and these need to be identified as soon as possible. People especially at risk of cancer of the throat include those who drink large quantities of alcohol or those who smoke. I would recommend that you get in to see your primary care doctor right away. If they confirm they diagnosis of hoarseness, they can get you an appointment to seen an ear, nose, and throat specialist for further evaluation as soon as possible.