ZocdocAnswersHow do you get tested for hypoglycemia?

Question

How do you get tested for hypoglycemia?

Is it just part of a regular blood test that a doctor would give you? I think I'm hypoglycemic and would like to find out if I am right...

Answer

You may know of people with diabetes mellitus who are on insulin injection therapy. They have to frequently check their blood sugar (at home) prior to giving themselves a dose of insulin injection. Insulin is a natural hormone in the body that regulates your blood sugar. In diabetics their body may not be producing enough insulin or the tissue has become resistant to their own insulin. Normally insulin is tightly regulated by the level of sugar in your blood, and therefore too much insulin can make the blood sugar go very low causing "hypoglycemic symptoms". These symptoms include anxiety, jitteriness, sweating, seizures, and even coma and death. The treatment for this is by giving the patient sugar in the form of a hard candy, juice, or intravenous fluid. Outside of self inflicted hypoglycemia with excessive insulin injection, very few condition can cause your blood sugar to go significantly low. Having said that, there is a rare cancer, insulinoma, a neuroendocrine tumor that can cause hypoglycemia as well. Blood sugar check is a simple test that could be done at home, your doctor's office, or at the emergency department. It can be done via a quick prick of the finger or as a comprehensive metabolic panel. If you have the above symptoms, you should definitely go see a primary care physician who can assist in figuring out if this is indeed something that needs further investigation.