ZocdocAnswersHow do you soothe a sore throat?

Question

How do you soothe a sore throat?

I know I just have a sore throat so I'm taking some aspirin for the pain but how do you soothe the pain that goes with swallowing? Do you gargle with something? Someone said salt water but that seems like it would just make things worse!?!

Answer

Sore throats are very common, obviously, and some of the best treatments for the common sore throat are the things that our mother's have always told us: lots of fluids, warm teas and other liquids like thin soup, using a humidifier at night, etc. In addition to this, sometimes the throat lozenges or sprays that are available over the counter might help for a short period of time. Ultimately, however, treating the cause of the sore throat is the best way to help relieve your symptoms. If you have a virus, the best treatment is time, fluids, etc. If you have post nasal drip that is falling onto the back of your throat while you sleep, then it is usually better to try something aimed at decreasing or thinning the postnasal drip. One of the favorites is to spray salt water into your nose a couple of times a day. If you are having a bitter taste in your mouth or heartburn symptoms, it could be gastric reflux that is burning the back of your throat and making it sore, which can be treated with the help of your doctor. Please speak to your doctor about your symptoms.