ZocdocAnswersIs there a disease that affects all of your muscles at the same time?

Question

Is there a disease that affects all of your muscles at the same time?

I don't know what is going on. It feels like all of my muscles like every single one of them is weak and they hurt a little bit too and it is starting to really freak me out. Is there a disease that can affect all of your muscles at the same time like that?

Answer

It sounds like the best thing you can do is to see your doctor right away to discuss your symptoms in more detail and try to get to the bottom of what is causing your muscle weakness and pain. There are many different things that cause cause the symptoms you describe, and that's why it's important to see your physician since he or she can go into more detail with your history to try and elicit additional information that can be helpful in making a diagnosis. Some medications, most notably the statins used to treat high cholesterol, can cause diffuse muscle aches and pains. In addition, some infections, particularly viral infections like influenza can cause diffuse body aches and pain. Metabolic abnormalities if some of your electrolytes are not at the right level can also cause the symptoms you describe. Finally, autoimmune diseases can also sometimes present with diffuse aches and pains. This is a long list of conditions, some of them serious, but the important thing to remember is that none of them occur in isolation--there are almost always other symptoms, risk factors on health history, or findings on physical exam or laboratory studies. Your doctor will have a better idea of what to look for after talking with you, which is why it is so important that you make an appointment right away.