ZocdocAnswersWhy is the skin on my fingers so scaly?

Question

Why is the skin on my fingers so scaly?

It's kind of the skin on the sides of my fingers and it is the first three fingers on my left hand. The top and bottom looks fine but the inner parts are really scaly and a little dry too. Why is the skin on my fingers doing this?

Answer

If these symptoms have been persistent for a while or are worsening, then you should make an appointment to see your primary care doctor, as they will be able to help you figure out what is going on and whether or not you need any treatment. I suspect, based on your description, that you are suffering from some eczema. Eczema is a condition in which the skin becomes dried out and irritated, leading to redness, itching, and scaling or flaking. Eczema is very common on the hands, where it is made worse by exposure to chemicals, soaps, and hot water. Generally speaking, eczema on the hands can be controlled by paying attention to keeping your hands well moisturized (especially after washing your hands), avoiding chemicals and harsh soaps, and using a topical steroid cream to reduce the itching and flaking. Another potential problem that you could have is contact dermatitis, which has many of the symptoms of eczema, but is causes specifically by coming into contact with a particular substance that you are allergic to (soaps and chemicals, as well as jewelry, are common causes). Contact dermatitis is treated in much the same way as eczema. Start by scheduling a visit with your primary care doctor.