ZocdocAnswersWhy is my pinky toe numb?

Question

Why is my pinky toe numb?

I think that I broke my pinky toe about a month ago when I stubbed it on a chair. Seemed to heal okay but now it is getting numb and that makes me worried. Is the numbness just part of the healing or should I maybe look into having some surgery done on my toe?

Answer

I highly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue, especially since it seems to be persistent. They will help you figure out what is going on and what might be needed in terms of treatment. When you stub your toe, this typically causes damage to the ligaments and soft tissue of the toe. However, in severe cases you may also damage nerves or blood vessels. Damage to these structures could be associated with numbness (in general just simply stubbing your toe shouldn't cause numbness). Your doctor can determine if you have any evidence of nerve or blood vessel damage and, if so, if it is necessary to treat it in any way. Sometimes minor nerve damage can just be 'waited out' as it tends to improve slowly over time, but let your doctor make this decision! Also, there are other potential reasons for numbness that might be unrelated to your injury. For example, tight or poorly fitting shoes are a very common cause of numbness in the feet or toes. Similarly, there are many chronic medical problems, such as diabetes, that might be the cause of these symptoms. Make an appointment with your doctor at your earliest convenience!