ZocdocAnswersDid I give myself a scalp infection?

Question

Did I give myself a scalp infection?

I cut my own hair and cut it all the way down and then shaved my head with the razor I use to shave my face. Now the hair is starting to grow back in and I have all of this itching on my scalp. Is it an infection? Can you get a scalp infection this way?

Answer

Itching is a very non-specific symptom, meaning that it can be caused by so many different things that it is hard to know what it means in the absence of more information. Obviously, hair growing back in will cause some level of itching and irritation, as will the increased dryness which is caused by the lack of hair trapping the normal moisturizing oils of the scalp. In general, using a razor on your scalp and on your face would not be enough of a reason to expect that you would get an infection from bacteria transferred from one area to the next. Unless there are extra factors involved, the skin generally serves as a sufficient barrier to prevent those small infections. That being said, it would be a good idea to have someone examine your scalp and determine if there are any red or inflamed looking areas. If so, these should be reviewed by a doctor. The scalp is somewhat less sensitive than other areas of the head and face, and so it requires regular inspection if you do have a concern. As always, if you have any concerns, please speak to your doctor about them to be fully treated if needed.