Is it possible that I am anemic?

I've had all kinds of back pain for years and now I am starting to see unexplained bruises on different parts of my body. Does that mean that I am anemic? Or am I just being paranoid?
Back pain is a very common symptom. It usually does not have any relationship with easy bruising. In addition, easy bruising does not mean that you are anemic, and often has no relationship with anemia. Let me explain. People that bruise very easily sometimes have a problem with blood clotting. This can be a problem with the blood clotting factors themselves, or a problem with platelets. When your blood has trouble clotting, small bumps can cause more bleeding that is normal which can result in unexplained bruises. This is one possibility in your case. Anemia is a different problem all together. Anemia is a reduction in the number of red blood cells you have in your blood. This can caused by many conditions, but the end result is that anemia causes fatigue and shortness of breath. I do think that you should be evaluated by a doctor. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will want to look closely at your bruises and look for other signs of blood clotting problems that may not be obvious to you. In addition, your doctor will want to get a blood sample for coagulation studies and to test for your platelet levels.

• Dr. Harvey Lerner
    Dr. Harvey Lerner MD
    215 East Main Street
    Smithtown, NY 11787
  • Dr. Camilo Rincon
    Dr. Camilo Rincon MD
    7824 Lake Underhill Road
    Orlando, FL 32822
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091