Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Why do I get pain when I am laying on my right side?

I have pain in the right side of my body but it only pops up when I am laying on my right side? What could that mean? Is it something that has to do with my circulation?
Pain on only one side of the body is a rather unusual presentation. In addition, the fact that you only experience this when laying on one side suggests that there may well be an anatomical explanation for your symptoms. To help determine what might be causing your symptoms, you should plan to see your primary care physician right away. It will make a difference for he or she to talk with you about how long you have had these symptoms, where exactly on your right side you are feeling pain, and if you have noticed *anything* else that has been different with your health lately (ie fevers, weight loss, night sweats, changes in appetite, headache, trouble swallowing, nausea or vomiting, changes in bowel habits or voiding frequency, muscle weakness, or numbness/tingling). If the pain is more pronounced in your limbs than your torso it is possible that you could be suffering from some sort of vascular disease. However, your overall health history (as well as family history), your age, and your home medications are all very important here, since the causes of body pain in a 23 year old are very different than those in a 73 year old. Your doctor can start with a history and physical and then consider any additional testing or imaging based on your conversation.

• Dr. Robert Bayer
    Dr. Robert Bayer MD
    1250 S. Capital of Texas Hwy
    Austin, TX 78746
  • Dr. Michael Flicker
    Dr. Michael Flicker DO
    9633 West Broward Blvd
    Plantation, FL 33324
  • Dr. Tanya Grun
    Dr. Tanya Grun MD
    921 Lakeview Blvd
    New Braunfels, TX 78130