Does drinking alcohol have an affect on your blood pressure?

I drink like four days a week just socially I would say. I'm 25. There is a history of high blood pressure in my family though. Could my drinking be bad for my blood pressure? I really don't think that I drink that much.
Drinking alcohol can have different effects on your blood pressure depending on how much you drink. If you drink an excessive amount of alcohol (such as an average of more than 2 drinks per day), then the alcohol you drink is likely to increase your blood pressure. In addition, excessive alcohol use can have other detrimental effects on the heart independent of blood pressure. However, if your alcohol consumption is moderate (less than 2 drinks per day if you are a man or 1 drink per day if you are a woman) then it is more likely to have a positive effect on your blood pressure and overall cardiovascular health. Most physicians recommend either abstaining from alcohol altogether, or having 1-2 alcoholic beverages 4-5 days per week as a means of reducing blood pressure. It sounds to me like you probably fall into the latter category. I will say that drinking a moderate amount of alcohol is unlikely to prevent you from getting high blood pressure if you have a strong family history of it. Thus, you should make sure to schedule regular appointments with your primary care physician. He or she can monitor your blood pressure and make sure that it is not too high. Good luck.