ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have constant pain and tingling in my genitals?

Question

Why do I have constant pain and tingling in my genitals?

I have constant tingling and pain on the left side of my penis and in my left testicle. The pain is also in other areas of the left side of my body sometimes. My doctor is sure that it isn't an STD. So what could it be? Why is this pain always there?

Answer

I think you need to sit down with your primary care doctor again and have another look at this pain, since it has been persistent for quite some time now. Whenever there is pain in the penis, sexually transmitted infections tend to be at the top of the list. But these are easily excluded with simple tests, which I assume your doctor has performed. Other common things that could cause pain and discomfort in the testicle and penis would include an inflammation of the tubules on the back of the testicle, known as epididymitis. An inguinal hernia could potentially also give these symptoms. Occasionally, a kidney stone can manifest as persistent pain that radiates from the back down into the groin and testicle. Additionally, if you notice a rash that develops on the skin over where the pain and tingling is, then another potential would be an attack of shingles. Shingles is caused by a reactivation of the chicken pox virus, and it begins as pain and tingling, followed by a blistering rash in a localized area of the skin. Your doctor can perform another thorough examination and consider these and other possibilities and make recommendations about what to do next. Good luck!