Book now. It's free!

Could mold in my house give me headaches?

Had some water damage and a lot of mold in this one part of my house. Now since then I am starting to get headaches a lot more than I used to. Could it be from the mold? Does exposure to mold cause people to get headaches?
Mold exposure from your house can potentially cause headaches in one very specific way. Namely, you may be allergic to the mold, in which case it could be provoking nasal allergies or sinus inflammation. Chronic congestion of the sinuses can easily cause a headache. The type of headache associated with sinus congestion is typically in the front of the head, below the eyes, or in the forehead. There is often also nasal congestion or cough. If you have these symptoms, then you should be evaluated by your primary care doctor. They should be able to quickly confirm a diagnosis of sinus congestion or nasal allergies based just on questioning and the physical examination. Fortunately, there are several excellent medications that can be used to reduce the symptoms associated with sinus congestion, and your doctor can present your options for you. On the other hand, even if you don't have symptoms of sinus congestion, you should still have your headache checked out by your doctor. Tension and migraine headache are both very common causes of headache which can be treated effectively with medications and lifestyle changes. Furthermore, your doctor can also rule out other, more serious causes of your headache. Good luck!

Other Neurologists