ZocdocAnswersCan I take ibuprofen if I already take medicine for my allergies?

Question

Can I take ibuprofen if I already take medicine for my allergies?

I take medicine that I buy from the grocery store for my allergies and I take it year round. Do those medications combine okay with other medications? Like can I still take ibuprofen with the allergy medication?

Answer

It is most likely that you are taking one of the non sedating anti histamines for your allergies. The common ones that are available over the counter include Claritin (loratidine), Zyrtec (cetirizine) and Allegra (fexofenadine). These medications are great for allergies, and they are also in general medications that have very few side effects and can be combined safely with most other medications. For example, there is generally no reason that you couldn't take a non sedating anti histamine and also take common pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. However, if you are going to be taking ibuprofen, especially if you are going to be taking it for a long while or at higher doses, you should consult with your primary care doctor first. This is because ibuprofen has many of its own side effects, which can be significant. These include irritation of the stomach, which can lead to a stomach ulcer or intestinal bleeding, especially if you take other medications that also predispose to these, like aspirin. Also people with certain chronic medical problems, such as heart or kidney problems, should never take ibuprofen. Your doctor will be able to answer any additional questions you might have about taking ibuprofen!