Can you get headaches from not sleeping enough?

I guess I probably don't get enough sleep because of my work schedule and now I am getting some headaches that I never did before. is it from not getting enough sleep or is that impossible?
Headaches are very subjective experiences of pain, and the can be affected by many different factors, which tend to vary a lot from person to person. Fatigue or lack of sleep is a known trigger for headache in some people, as are different foods, stress, sunlight, and the like. I suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor about your headaches, especially since they seem to be persistent and very bothersome to you. Your primary care doctor can diagnose what type of headache you have and help you decide how best to treat it. For example, if you have tension headaches, which feel like constant pain or pressure in the back of the head and temples, then standard pain killers might be enough, but relaxation and stretching exercises might also be helpful. On the other hand, if you have migraines, which are characterized by pulsating pain, often with nausea or visual disturbances, then you might need to take a daily medication to reduce the frequency and severity of the headaches. Your doctor can also make sure that your headaches are not caused by a more rare (but serious) medical problem. Make an appointment as soon as you can!

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Pamela Amador
    Dr. Pamela Amador MD
    85 Grand Canal Dr
    Miami, FL 33144
  • Dr. Robin Snead
    Dr. Robin Snead MD
    20303 Crawford Ave
    Olympia Fields, IL 60461