ZocdocAnswersWhy won't the sores on my lip heal?

Question

Why won't the sores on my lip heal?

Thought maybe I had a cold sore but it has been there for about a month and doesn't hurt. It is just a cluster of red bumps that is near my lip. What should I do to make this leave and any idea what it could be if it is not a cold sore?

Answer

Since these symptoms have been going on for quite a while, I highly recommend that you consult with a doctor about the problem. You could start by making an appointment with your primary care doctor, who should be able to help you figure out what is going on. Cold sores are definitely one of the most common causes of sores on the mouth. They usually occur at the border between the skin and the lip, most often at the corner of the mouth. Cold sores tend to be painful but, in the later stages of healing, the pain might be mostly gone. They can definitely take a long time to heal up, sometimes weeks. So I still think that this might be a cold sore. There are of course other possibilities that need to be considered. These include perioral dermatitis and angular cheilitis. When you go to see your doctor, make sure to tell them what treatments you have used for the bumps so far, such as a cold sore remedy or a steroid cream. Also let them know if you have recently started using any new beauty or facial products, as this could also be a reaction to those. Good luck!