Book now. It's free!

Are the bumps on my pelvis possibly herpes?

They have been there for about two months and they sort of look like pimples but a bit bigger. They are on the skin on my pelvis above the area where my vagina is. Could they be herpes or does herpes not look like that?
Herpes is a sexually transmitted infection which is caused by the herpes virus. Generally speaking, herpes 'bumps' begin as painful fluid filled blisters that sit on top of a red base. When they rupture, they form small ulcers that slowly heal. Based on your description of what you have, therefore, your bumps do not sound like they are herpes. This is not to say that they are not possibly a sexually transmitted infections disease, however. For example, genital warts, caused by the human papilloma virus, could cause the sorts of bumps that you are describing. There are also other skin conditions other than those caused by sexually transmitted infections that need to be considered. These include, for example, ingrown hairs in the pubic region and folliculitis, which is an infection at the base of hair shafts. I would recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor to discuss this issue. After a thorough examination, they can tell you whether they think these bumps are from a sexually transmitted infection, such as the human papilloma virus, or from another cause. Based on what they find, they can make recommendations about what to do next.

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N