ZocdocAnswersDoes breast cancer cause pain in your breast?

Question

Does breast cancer cause pain in your breast?

I'm getting pain in my left breast but I keep checking and there is no bump or lump or whatever. But could I still have breast cancer? Does it cause breast pain?

Answer

There are a number of reasons for breast pain, most commonly trauma and infection. In either case, you should discuss with your doctor. If you recently have had trauma to your breast, even days ago, this can present as pain. A lump (breast tissue necrosis) may not be palpable if it is deep. If you are breast feeding, it can be a sign of a breast infection especially if there is redness, fevers, swelling, and pain involved. Breast cancer usually don't present initially with breast pain. However, if you are older than 40 years of age and have not had a mammogram and you have a breast lump or pain you should see a primary care physician who can order this test. You should also go to the doctor for an examination and check up if you have a strong family history of breast cancer in your siblings, parent, and close relatives. Many breast cancer are actually too small to be palpated but they are detectable by mammography. Early detection allows for early treatment and better prognosis. Mammography can be somewhat uncomfortable an exam as the breasts are pressed between the metal plates.But to date it is the most common method of screening as well as diagnosing breast cancer. If you are young in your twenties with dense breast tissue, mammogram is not such a good test. Your doctor may choose to get an ultrasound as the initial test in this case, and possibly an MRI. Again, please discuss with your doctor right away.