Click to book now:

Why does it always feel like there is something in my throat?

I feel like I have a ball of something stuck in my throat and I feel it a lot when I am eating or drinking or just swallowing in general. Why do I have this feeling in my throat? Could something be growing back there?
The sensation of feeling that there is always something in your throat is known to doctors as a globus sensation, which is short for globus hystericus. It was originally called globus hystericus because pregnant women would so often complain about this finding (hystericus referring to the uterus). It was ultimately determined that many pregnant women were having this sensation due, in part, to the pressure on their stomachs and the relaxation of their esophageal sphincters which caused increased gastric reflux disease. This constant bathing of the throat in stomach acid leads to the uncomfortable sensation of something being present in the back of the throat. That being said, most people today will have the globus sensation due to a variety of reasons, not just stomach acid. If your symptoms have been present for some time, then you need to see a doctor to determine what the cause may be. An ear-nose and throat surgeon (AKA, otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon) will be able to best evaluate you and determine what is contributing to your symptoms. Additionally, he or she will be able to look closely at the back your throat and your voice box to make sure there is nothing serious. Please seek your doctor.

• Dr. J. David Dahm
    Dr. J. David Dahm MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    226 South Woods Mill Road
    Chesterfield, MO 63017
  • Dr. Andrew Diamond
    Dr. Andrew Diamond MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    1360 Upper Hembree Road
    Roswell, GA 30076
  • Dr. Drew Sawyer
    Dr. Drew Sawyer MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    1305 West 34th St
    Austin, TX 78705