ZocdocAnswersDoes dry skin cause itching all over your body?

Question

Does dry skin cause itching all over your body?

All of the sudden I am itchy everywhere. I mean like every part of my body! It is the worst when I lay down and try to go to bed at night. Is it just dry skin and I need to try out some lotion?

Answer

Itching can sometimes be even more distracting than pain, and to help determine what is causing your symptoms and how to treat them, it will be very helpful for you to see your primary care physician right away. Dry skin can cause itching, but it would be very unusual for you to develop severe dry skin all over your body at the same time. In your situation, your generalized itching--also known as pruritis--may indicate some other systemic problem of which your itching is only a symptom. Your doctor will want to talk with you in great detail about any other changes you may have noticed in your health lately, even things that you may not have considered to have anything to do with this itching. In addition, putting your symptoms together with your physical exam will also be very important. Have you noticed any dry skin yourself? Your doctor will want to make sure that you don't have any visible skin changes that could help suggest a reason for your itching. Finally, he or she will probably want to check some basic laboratory values to help rule in or rule out possible causes for your symptoms. There are also medications that can be used to help relieve itching symptoms, so hopefully you will get some relief soon!