ZocdocAnswersWhy does the edge of my nose sting?

Question

Why does the edge of my nose sting?

The edge of my nostrils are on fire! They sting all of the time. Is it maybe just from wiping my nose too much and they are really irritated? What can I put on the inside or edges of my nose to make it stop stinging?

Answer

Stinging at the edge of your nostrils could be an interesting symptom, but from what you seem to be implying it is probably more of a result of your runny nose that has required constant nose blowing and wiping. If that is the case, the best thing that you can do is to stop rubbing, wiping, and blowing your nose (inasmuch as this is possible, of course). While this can be difficult to do, the repeated trauma to an area of your body that is not used to such abuse can cause the skin to become dry, cracked, and extremely sensitive (as you now know). Things that help the skin to heal, like increasing the moisture of the area, will help the pain to decrease. Some of the lotions that either add moisture of keep more moisture from escaping the damaged skin will be helpful to make sure that your nose starts to feel better shortly, and the tissues with lotion in them may help, too. If your symptoms persist or are not related to wiping your nose more than usual, then you should speak with your doctor and describe your symptoms fully so that he or she can make further recommendations. Please speak with your doctor.