ZocdocAnswersWhy haven't I gotten my period for three months?

Question

Why haven't I gotten my period for three months?

I'm 24 and have missed my period for 3 month and I have taken different pregnancy test and the are all negative?

Answer

I am sorry that you have missed your menstrual cycle for 3 months. I can imagine that to be very stressful. There are various causes for secondary amenorrhea (absence of menses after it has been established), so you should follow up with your primary care physician or gynecologist to discuss your symptoms, necessary evaluation, and possible causes. You are right to think the pregnancy is the most common cause of not having your menstrual cycle for 3 months. If you have tested yourself various times and are always negative, then that is unlikely to be the etiology. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is one of the main causes of abnormal ovulation (irregular periods) and increased androgen symptoms in women. This syndrome is a spectrum of disease but the primary characteristics include hyperandrogenism (symptoms of increased testosterone such as increased hair and acne), irregular menstrual cycles, polycystic ovaries, obesity, and insulin resistance. Each patient will present differently, with a varying combination of these primary characteristics. Other causes of amenorrhea include weight loss, eating disorders, excessive exercise, stress, prolonged illness, pituitary tumors, systemic disease, and thyroid dysfunction. Given the extensive differential for amenorrhea, you should discuss with your gynecologist to discuss your symptoms, have a full physical exam, and likely for a work up to distinguish the cause of your symptoms.