ZocdocAnswersWhy do my shins hurt and what can i do to fix it?

Question

Why do my shins hurt and what can i do to fix it?

I am a 16 year old girl. I don't do much sports and recently did a substastancial amount of walking just the other day. I understand that it could be I am just not use to the work out but I concure because I ocasionally have achey bones. Such as when I cross my legs I can only stay that way for apoximately 5 minuties before I feel sore and need to stetch. I also feel achey in my knees, feet and ankles. But rarely ever in my upper body. What can I do for this?

Answer

You should start by seeing your pediatrician or adolescent medicine doctor about this issue. They can examine your legs and feet and help you figure out what might be going on and what you might need to do about it. One problem of shin pain is something called shin splints, or medial tibial stress syndrome. This tends to be brought out by significant physical exertion; therefore the fact that you did a lot of walking and that your shins now hurt could be related. Most of the time, shin splints will go away with rest and stretching exercise, although sometimes pain medications might be necessary. Pain and achiness when sitting down or crossing the legs might be a sign of a different condition, called patellofemoral pain syndrome, or runner's knee. This is also very common in people your age, especially those who are physically active. Both of these conditions, as well as others, can be diagnosed by your primary doctor. Based on what they find, they can help you decide whether or not pain medications, stretching exercises, or physical therapy might be necessary to get you back to feeling better. Make an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can!