We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Why do I get a tingling feeling in my arms when sitting down?

when i'm sitting on my couch i get a weird tingling feeling in my arms to the wrist
You definitely need to see your doctor for an evaluation as soon as possible. Any persistent tingling sensation like this is concerning for a nerve problem, and needs to be worked up. You could start by going to see your primary care doctor, who can help you determine if you need additional testing or referral to a specialist, such as a neurologist. Numbness and tingling in the arms and wrists could be from a few different causes. If the symptoms are primarily located in the wrist and fingers, then a possibility is carpal tunnel syndrome, which is a localized swelling of the nerves feeding the hand at the level of the wrist, often caused by repetitive strain of the wrist. On the other hand, if the numbness and tingling is running up and down the entire arm and shoulder, then there is a higher probability that you have a pinched nerve at the level of the spine. Finally, there are some common medical problems that can be associated with numbness and tingling, such as diabetes and trouble with the thyroid gland, as well as certain vitamin deficiencies. Your doctor should perform a thorough examination and help you determine what needs to be done next. Good luck, and please speak with him or her soon.

• Dr. Ruben Ruiz
    Dr. Ruben Ruiz MD
    3012 San Gabriel Blvd.
    Rosemead, CA 91770
  • Dr. Julien Dedier
    Dr. Julien Dedier MD
    725 Albany St
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021