ZocdocAnswersCould I be having pregnancy symptoms this early?

Question

Could I be having pregnancy symptoms this early?

the veins on my breasts, arms, and hips, are suddenly more visible and its been 9 days since i had unprotected sex. could i be having symptoms so early?

Answer

The symptoms you are describing can occur in pregnancy, but usually do not occur until you have been pregnant for many months. In fact there are very few symptoms of pregnancy only 9 days after having unprotected intercourse. At that point the embryo would just be implanting and you may not even have a positive pregnancy test. The first symptoms after implantation is the occasional spotting that occurs when part of the inner lining of the uterus breaks to allow the placenta to attach and begin developing. A missed period is the second sign. The nausea and vomiting of morning sickness can the occur a few weeks later. Veins in the breasts and stomach can become more visible when blood slow increases or when venous congestion occurs because of a very large uterus . These certainly would not be see so early. If you think you may be pregnant, then you should schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can perform a pregnancy test to see if you have conceived. Alternatively you can do and purchase a home pregnancy test prior to seeing your doctor. If it is positive then you can begin getting good prenatal care so that you can have as healthy a pregnancy as possible.