ZocdocAnswersWhy do I still have a discharge from my breasts?

Question

Why do I still have a discharge from my breasts?

It is clear and drys hard. I am the mother of three my youngest is 11 and my oldest 15....the smallest push or squeeze to my breast have this discharge to come from my nipples.

Answer

You should definitely see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor as soon as possible about this issue. What you are dealing with is something called galactorrhea, which is clear discharge from the nipples (in the absence of breastfeeding or another cause of nipple discharge). Galactorrhea generally does have an underlying medical cause, so a thorough medical evaluation is important. Some of the common causes of galactorrhea include trouble with the kidneys, under activity of the thyroid gland, tumors in the pituitary gland, and a number of different medications. When you see your doctor, make sure to give them a complete list of all medications you are taking. Also, make sure to mention any additional symptoms you might be having, especially headache, dizziness, or trouble with your vision. Your doctor will perform a thorough physical examination. Based on what they find, they will decide which tests need to be ordered. At a minimum, you will need basic blood work, looking at your kidneys, pituitary gland, and thyroid gland. Another test that might be needed, especially if your pituitary tests come back abnormal, is an MRI of the head. Get in to see your doctor at your earliest convenience!