What could be causing the pain around my elbow?

It is in the bend of my elbow where the pain is. On the top. Like the top of the elbow joint. Kind of muscle soreness kind of thing but I don't know what it is caused by. Is this an elbow condition that I maybe didn't know I had?
I would definitely recommend that you talk to your primary care doctor about this. They can examine your elbow and help you figure out exactly what is going on and whether or not any specific treatment is needed. By far the most common cause of pain in this area of the elbow would be tendonitis, which is an inflammation of the spot where the tends in the forearm attach to the bone. If the pain is more on the outer edge of the elbow, this is known as "tennis elbow" or "lateral epicondylitis". If the pain is more on the inner edge of the elbow, the pain is alternatively known as "golf elbow" or "medial epicondylitis". As the common names tennis and golf elbows suggest, most of the time the condition is caused by an over use injury of the elbow, from repeated swinging or other physically strenuous actions. Most of the time, the condition will respond to rest and to basic anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naproxen. Your doctor can confirm the diagnosis and recommend which medications you should take specifically for the pain. They can also follow along to make sure that the symptoms are improving over time.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Noel Smith
    Dr. Noel Smith MD
    325 Broadway
    New York, NY 10007
  • Dr. Robert Domaleski
    Dr. Robert Domaleski MD
    8200 E. Belleview Avenue
    Greenwood Village, CO 80111