ZocdocAnswersIs my achilles pain caused by running too much?

Question

Is my achilles pain caused by running too much?

I used to only run a few days a week but I am running almost every day now. Since I started running more I have sorness in the achilles on my left foot. Is it jsut from running too much or did I maybe pull the tendon? Can you do that?

Answer

What you probably have is tendonitis of the Achilles tendon. This is a general term that basically means that you have inflammation in the tendon itself. Most of the time, tendonitis is caused by overuse of a muscle. Tendonitis causes pain in the tendon that gets worse with movement and better with rest. The pain can be severe. Tendonitis in this area would tend to cause you to walk with a bit of a limp. There are a few different things you can do to help your pain. The first thing you can do to help the pain is to rest yourself and not go running for a week or so. This often is enough to calm down the inflammation. Some people find short courses of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications to be helpful in helping with the pain and inflammation. Another possibility is that you have pulled your gastrocnemius or soleus muscles which are the muscles that use the Achilles tendon for their action. This is less likely because your pain is lower than the calf muscle where you would expect pain if you had pulled those muscles. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will examine your left foot and determine what is causing your pain.