ZocdocAnswersIf you have a concussion will you show symptoms the next day?

Question

If you have a concussion will you show symptoms the next day?

I hit my head kind of hard but I didn't think it was much of anything. The next day I didn't have any pain or dizziness or anything like that so I figure I am fine. If I had a concussion I would know the next day right?

Answer

In order to diagnose you with any type of concussion, you need to have some symptoms of mild traumatic brain injury. These include confusion, dizziness, amnesia, or loss of consciousness. If you say you felt fine, had no dizziness or confusion, and have no memory loss, then you may not have had a concussion. However, not all symptoms of traumatic brain injury mild or severe are noticed by the affected person. It is possible that you have some deficit or sign of a concussion that you have not noticed. It is for this reason that you should always be evaluated by a doctor shortly after you experience an injury to your head. If it is the same day as your injury, then you can consider going to the emergency room at your local hospital. An even better idea is to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician who knows you as long as you can get in right away. Since you had the injury now more than one day ago, it is probably best for you to just schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor. He or she can clear you as not having had a concussion with a simple history and neurological examination.