ZocdocAnswersWhy do I keep getting pimples along the edge of my nose?

Question

Why do I keep getting pimples along the edge of my nose?

Don't have many problems with pimples but lately I can't make them stop around my nose. It is the edge of my nose where it meets my face and no matter how much I wash they keep coming back. What would cause so many pimples in this area? What should I do to stop them?

Answer

Unfortunately, pimples in this area of the face are very common. This is because the oil glands around the nose are very active, leading to frequent clogging of the pores in the crease between the nose and the face. Most of the time the pimples that are found in this region are "black heads" but "white heads" can also be found here. Treatment of recurrent pimples on the face requires a daily facial cleansing regimen, that should include gentle exfoliation of the skin (to remove dead skin and oil debris). It sounds like this is what you are currently doing. Therefore, you might need to add a second facial cleaning product, in particular one that contains either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are 'comedonolytics' that help to strip away the pore clogging debris on the skin, and they are found in many common acne treatment brands (just read the labels). If all of these methods don't work, then you will need to see either your primary care doctor or your dermatologist for consideration of starting a prescription strength acne treatment, of which many are available. Make an appointment with your doctor at your earliest convenience!