Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is there a way other than pain medication to deal with gall stones?"

ZocdocAnswersIs there a way other than pain medication to deal with gall stones?


Turns out the pain I had in my stomach was caused by gall stones and my doctor gave me pain medication for them. But what else can I do? Is there another way to deal with gall stones other than just taking pills?


Gall stones are a very common problem that occurs when the normal fluid that is contained in the gall bladder 'crystallizes' into stones that can cause periodic episodes of pain, especially often associated with the ingestion of fatty meals. Although pain control with standard pain medications is definitely part of the treatment for gall stones, the definitive management of this condition is surgery to remove the gall bladder. Once a gall stone is formed, it is very unlikely that it will 'disappear' and, therefore, the risk for continued recurrent episodes of pain is high. You may want to ask your primary care doctor for a referral to see a general surgeon. A general surgeon is skilled in gall bladder removal surgery, and they can review all of the results of your recent studies and help determine if this is the right direction for you to go in. Again, please discuss with your doctor. If you have severe abdominal pain, intractable nausea or vomiting, or fever, get in to see your doctor right away, as these might be signs of a complication of your gall stones.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.