ZocdocAnswersHow long does it take for your throat to heal after a tonsillectomy?

Question

How long does it take for your throat to heal after a tonsillectomy?

My doctor recommended a tonsillectomy but also said it is basically up to me if I want to do it or not. What is the recovery like?? How long will it take to heal and feel normal again after I have a tonsillectomy?

Answer

A tonsillectomy is a fairly straightforward surgery in which the tonsils are removed. This is typically done in cases in which the tonsils are chronically inflamed or when you have very frequent throat infections, with the hope of eliminating these problems. Most of the time, if you do not have any other medical problems, a tonsillectomy can be done as a same day procedure, meaning that you would likely not have to spend the night in the hospital. When you go home after the procedure, your throat would initially be quite sore. However, your surgeon would give you a prescription for medications that you could take to relieve the pain. Over a few days, these symptoms would improve, with most people feeling pretty well by a week after the surgery. Because of the pain and soreness, some people do not feel like eating initially and mostly restrict themselves to liquids; however, again, by a few days out from the procedure most people feel comfortable enough to eat a regular diet once again. I suggest that you talk with your ear, nose, and throat surgeon once again if you have any additional questions about this procedure, since they would be the ones who would perform it for you.